Italy is divided into 20 regions (use this official link Italia.it to know the “boot”)
The total land area of Italy is approximately 301,328 square kilometres.
The regions are divided into provinces, 110 in all, varying dramatically in size. Tuscany it’s a REGION.
These provinces are divided into “comunes”, of which there are 8,100. I live in the province of Firenze.
Florence is a city that is also province.
I wanna know more!
- Italy, officially the Italian Republic, is located on the Italian Peninsula in Southern Europe, and on the two largest islands in the Mediterranean Sea, Sicily and Sardinia.
- It shares boundaries with France, Switzerland, Austria and Slovenia.
- The independent states of San Marino and the Vatican City are enclaves within the Italian Peninsula.
- It has a Mediterranean climate. It can be extremely hot everywhere in the summer, and extremely cold in the north during the winter.
- Historycally it has been the home of many European cultures, such as the Etruscans and the Romans, and later was the birthplace of the movement of the Renaissance, that began in Tuscany and spread all over Europe. Italy’s capital, Rome, has been the centre of Western civilization, and Vatican City, located in Rome, is the centre of the Catholic Church.
- It has made an incalculable contribution to the culture of Europe and the rest of the world. writers such as: Dante, Petrarch and Boccaccio – artists such as: Giotto, Leonardo da Vinci, Caravaggio and Michelangelo; and composers such as: Monteverdi, Vivaldi, Rossini, Verdi and Puccini have all had a tremendous and lasting influence on the development of Western civilization. Contemporary Italian artists, writers, filmmakers, architects, composers, and designers continue to contribute significantly to Western culture.